About Building For Success LLC
Building for Success was established in 2014 to fulfill our belief in the importance of helping individuals do their best and be their best in the workplace by enabling continuous learning and professional development. The intensity of this belief increased as a result of my interactions with students at Georgetown University. As an adjunct professor teaching in the Masters of Human Resources program, I interacted with countless professionals who worked in all types and sizes of organizations. An untold number of professionals shared similar stories about their employer. Many loved their job, but were dismayed because their employers expressed an unwillingness to facilitate their growth and development through formal and informal learning experiences.
I found this to be very disturbing and disheartening because I know from professional experiences and from undisputed research that employers realize tangible and intangible benefits when they encourage and support employee development. Building for Success was established so we can increase employers’ awareness, build understanding, and assist organizations with developing their workforce by offering highly impactful training, and working with clients post-training to apply their learning in the workplace.
To promote continuous learning in the workplace by enabling employee development and competence, and facilitating organizational learning.
Our Customer Pledge
We are an ethical business. We provide the following customer pledge to you:
We pledge to always act with the highest levels of integrity, communicate directly and honestly, and hold ourselves accountable for delivering the best services and/or products within our means and capabilities.
As a result of our partnership, clients can expect the following outcomes:
Organizational leaders will receive a learning roadmap that provides greater clarity on the “why, what, and how” – that is, the pathway that learners will proceed on during their learning journey.
Employees completing their learning experiences will be able to immediately apply their knowledge and put their skills into practice at their workplace.
Employees completing their learning experiences will have practical tools and approaches to positively enhance their own and others development and daily interaction with others.
Individuals will feel more confident and capable as a result of using their individualized emotional intelligence results to leverage their strengths and address blind spots.
Meet the Owners
Nicole A. Johnson
Co-owner & Primary Consultant/Facilitator
Dr. Nicole Johnson has over twenty-five years in the field of human resources and learning and development. She has provided training and facilitation throughout her career.
For the last eight years she has focused on consulting in the areas of employee development and organizational learning. Nicole’s consultative and delivery styles focus on meeting the needs of her clients, emphasizing a very considerate and thoughtful approach in meeting the needs of adult learners, and providing real-world application.
Nicole first joined Blanchard as a Consulting Partner approximately four years ago. Her consulting partnership evolved into Building for Success becoming a Blanchard Channel Partner.
She has extensive leadership experience as a manager and member of the Senior Executive Service in the federal government, leading large operational, human resources, and training functions.
In her spare time, Nicole enjoys travelling with her husband Bradley, spending time with family, reading, and gardening.
- Co-owner, Lead Consultant and Facilitator, Building for Success, LLC (Fredericksburg Area, VA)–(Present): Consult on workforce development, organizational learning, training needs analysis, and employee engagement; Design learning roadmaps; Facilitate learning solutions; Align learning needs to business goals and objectives; Develop and maintain relationships with existing clientele, making sure to respond to changing needs and trends; Administer and consult on EQ-i 2.0 and EQ 360.
- Consulting Partner, Blanchard–(Present): Provide high-quality facilitation; Monitor, review and assess effectiveness of learning interventions; Provide feedback summaries, and recommendations to clients.
- Human Resource Development Consultant, West River Group (Sterling, VA)–(4 years): Provided consultation, research, and recommendations specifically on employee and leadership development, organizational learning, employee engagement and measurement.
- Associate Chief Human Capital Officer, Department of Treasury (Washington, D.C.)–(3.7 months): Senior executive; Led Treasury’s implementation and integration of human resources strategic imperatives and initiatives. Launched transformational efforts to overhaul agency’s recruitment, selection, and hiring. Sponsored training initiatives to support transformational change. Developed and implemented strategies to increase employee engagement.
- Assistant Chief Inspector, Investigative and Security Support, U.S. Postal Inspection Service (Washington, D.C)-(7.5 years): Senior executive; Led Inspection Service mission-support operations, which included the successful operation of all mission operations, which included: finance, human resources, information technology, training academy, investigative support, and forensic laboratory.
Ph.D., Human Development (Area of Concentration – Human Resources Development)
Virginia Tech University, Northern Capital Region Campus, Falls Church, VA Dissertation: “An Examination of the Relational Aspects of Leadership Credibility, Psychological Contract Breach and Violation, and Interactional Justice”
M.S., Managerial Leadership
National-Louis University, McLean, VA
B.S., General Studies (Business Administration major)
The American University, Washington, DC.
Certified: Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
Certified: Emotional Intelligence Consultant (EQ-i 2.0 and EQ 360)
Certified: SHRM-SCP (Society of Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional)
Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA; Bovard College, Master of Science, Human Resource Management Online Program – May 2017 – Present.
- Facilitate graduate-level courses: HRM Learning and Development, and HRM Leadership
- Create an effective learning environment based upon adult learning principles
- Mentor and coach students to identify, mitigate or resolve real-world learning and human resources challenges.
Adjunct Associate Professor, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.; School of Continuing Studies, Master of Professional Studies, Human Resource Management – Jan. 2011 – May, 2017.
- Served as lead facilitator for Workplace Ethics in Human Resources; also facilitated Foundations of Human Resources; High Performance Organizations and Change Management; and Assessing, Developing, and Facilitating Teams.
- Partnered with instructional system designers as a subject matter expert to develop an online Workplace Ethics course
- Mentored students through their academic journey to support their successful graduation and professional success.
Currently enrolled in Cornell University’s Certificate Program for Diversity and Inclusion for HR. Estimated completion date – November, 2020.
Bradley A. Johnson
Co-owner & Operations Director
Bradley Johnson, Building for Success, LLC co-owner, has over thirty years of extensive human resources management and leadership experience. Bradley earned a Master of Science degree in Management from National Louis University. During his federal sector human resources career he specialized in equal employment opportunity and prevention of workplace violence. He led a federal department responsible for congressional inquiries and correspondence. After his federal career, for several years he completed Office of Personnel Management background investigations for individuals seeking federal jobs and those already employed with the federal government.
Bradley serves as our Operations Director. He focuses on internal operations, including managing client accounts. Bradley will interface with clients to make sure all questions are addressed relative to billing, payment, and training materials.
Bradley enjoys travelling with Nicole, spending time with family, golfing, and photography.
American Heart Association
We donate to the American Heart Association in honor of our beloved family members who have passed away due to heart disease, and in recognition of current members addressing heart disease.
Fredericksburg Food Bank
We believe in supporting our local food bank to help ensure our neighbors in need are able to address the very basic human right to have food for themselves and their families.
Children’s Hospital in Richmond
We donate to this wonderful institution because it has played a crucial role in contributing to the health and well-being of our very loved and very phenomenal grandson who has special needs.
First Mount Zion Baptist Church
We have been members of the FMZBC family for over 25 years. We are proud to provide our service and financial support. We believe in service to God, the mission of FMZBC and its outreach to local, national, and global communities.